Our Madison Public Market will be housed in the current City Fleet Services building located at the corner of E. Johnson and First Streets. There isn’t a more perfect place to host Madison’s first brick & mortar Public Market.
The proposed 200 N. First Street location is ideal for a variety of reasons:
- Fleet building’s 2-story open space floor plan
- 45,000 square feet
- Existing floor to ceiling windows and overhead doors
- 3.5 acres for outdoor seating, live entertainment, food carts, and parking
- Connection to neighboring Burr Jones Field, the Yahara River, and multiple bikes paths
- Served by 220 buses per day
- 3,500 residents live within walking distance
Inside, the Fleet Building is a retro, large open space with 45,000 square feet to house 30 permanent vendors, 100+ seasonal/temporary vendors annually, public/private events, a commercial kitchen, floor to ceiling windows, and large garage doors to welcome an open air breeze during warmer months. The Fleet building will be vacated by the City of Madison as vehicle repair operations move to a new facility in fall, 2020.