We believe that agriculture and the way our food is produced and shipped can have a significant impact on water quality and climate change. Therefore, the Madison Public Market will support our local farmers and food systems while maintaining a lighter ecological foot print.
Sustainability features of the Madison Public Market development include:
- Reuse of an existing building instead of building anew
- Walkable, prime location near many bike paths and bus lines, including the future Bus Rapid Transit Line
- Solar array on the roof – generating enough electricity to power all of the Market’s lighting
- Innovative storm water and flood mitigation management system – an above ground cistern will capture rainwater to flush the Market toilets
- Use of daylighting and overhead doors to decrease use of artificial lighting and air conditioning
- Exploration of using edible plantings for landscaping