Community is at the center of the Madison Public Market. For many years, a community-led city committee, the Madison Public Market Development Committee (MPMDC), has been meeting every month to bring us to the point we are today. With the leadership and support of Mayor Paul Soglin and his team, the MPMDC has made important progress in site selection, creating a business plan, and laying the foundation for the creation of the Market. The City will lead efforts in designing and building the Market.
Members of the Madison Public Market Development Committee:
Anne Reynolds (Chair)
Barry Orton (Vice Chair)
Alder Larry Palm
Alder Marsha Rummel
Alder Amanda Hall
Lindsey Day Farnsworth
Jamaal Stricklin (non-voting)
In May of 2017, a new Madison Public Market Foundation non-profit was created to lead the fundraising efforts and community engagement during the Public Market development phase. Once the doors open, the Foundation manage the day-to-day operations of the Market. In the upcoming year, the Foundation will lead vendor selection, the employee hiring process including the Executive Director search, raise $4 million to create the Market, and work closely with the City on the architectural design.
The Madison Public Market Foundation Board members include:
Jamaal Stricklin (President), SuperCharge! Foods
Megan Ballard, Madison Commercial Real Estate
Sujhey Beisser, Park Bank & Five Senses Palate
Karen Crossley, community leader
Victoria Davis, Associated Bank
Rebecca Prochaska, Potter Lawson
Anne Reynolds, Madison Public Market Development Committee
Donale Richards, Off the Block Salsa/Mentoring Positives
John Starkweather, Boardman Clark
Amanda White, Consultant (non-Board member)
To help advise the Foundation, a group of diverse community leaders and supporters have formed the Madison Public Market Ambassador Advisory Council.
Members of the Advisory Council include:
- Betty Banks, African American community historian and organizer
- Craig Bartlett, Associate Publisher-Owner, Isthmus Publishing
- Peter Cavi, First Vice President, Merrill Lynch
- Al Cooper, Coordinator, Dane Dances
- Suzanne Fanning, VP of Marketing Communications, Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
- Greg Frank, VP of Community Relations, Food Fight Restaurant Group
- Peter Gray, Executive Search Consultant, QTI
- Alison Helland, Attorney, Boardman & Clark
- Jonny Hunter, Co-Founder, Underground Food Collective
- Ken Monteleone, Owner, Fromagination
- Melanie Ramey, Communication Coach and Speaker
- Helen Sarakinos, Executive Director, REAP Food Group
- Trey Sprinkman, Owner, Sprinkman Real Estate
- James Shulkin, Internal Communication Manager, Quartz Health Solutions, Inc.
- Steve Suleski, VP Board Relations, CUNA Mutual Group
- Missy Tracy, Municipal Relations Coordinator, Ho Chunk Nation/Ho Chunk Casino
Supporting all of these organizations has been the Friends of the Public Market. This group of supporters have attended countless meetings, weighed in on important decisions, and have helped build momentum within the community.